jeudi 23 septembre 2021

PHOTOGRAPHER YOUSUF KARSH IN MONTREAL

YOUSUF KARSH IN MONTREAL - 
By Bernard Bujold - 
I had promised myself that I would not return to the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts for years after my friend the director Nathalie Bondil was fired... 
But hey, if there is one person I admire as much as Nathalie it is photographer Yousuf Karsh and the MBAM is currently presenting an exhibition of about 100 of his works. 
In fact, I won't really be betraying my friend Nathalie Bondil by going to see the Karsh exhibition at the MBAM because she was the one who put the exhibition forward before she left. It was Nathalie who brought the donation to the MBAM and the exhibition was already planned and announced when she was at the museum. Nathalie was approached by Estrellita Karsh in 2019 who proposed a donation of Karsh's work because she loved the art therapy programs and the social involvement of the Montreal museum. 
I am a photographer myself and Karsh is still my inspiration today. In a way, he was the precursor to today's modern Photoshop technology for paper photographs. I met Karsh in person a couple of times in the lobby of the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa where he had his studio, when I was living in the area myself (around 1984). 
Karsh was a great man and a great photographer! 
Sorry Nathalie, but I'll make a rare exception and go back to your old museum... 

Note: The bottom photo is of my two children, David-Bernard and Stephanie, taken by me at the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. 

Aucun commentaire: