jeudi 1 novembre 2012

TRIBUTE TO RENÉ LÉVESQUE (1922-1987)


By Bernard Bujold (LeStudio1.com) - 
RENE LEVESQUE died on 1 November 1987. 
I have known this politician during three periods of my life. 
First, in 1977 at the National Assembly of Quebec when I was young parliamentary correspondent. Because Rene and I were from the Gaspé Peninsula (New Carlisle him and me St. Simeon of Bonaventure) we had one thing in common when we crossed paths in the corridors of the National Assembly. He loved to tell me about the Gaspésie and in particular he knew Geneviève Bujold... Then I get to know René through Pierre Peladeau for which I was the personal assistant from 1991 to 1996. Peladeau was a personal friend and very close to René Lévesque. He often spoke with me about his discussions between him and Rene on the edge of his swimming pool in St-Adèle. Finally, I worked on a project to protect and enhance the birthplace of René Lévesque in New Carlisle. This project was not successful but I had the opportunity to discuss with Corinne Côté-Lévesque. 
René was a man with many weaknesses, but he had a great moral honesty, and he believed in democracy. I remember one day when I wanted to ask him a question about a small topic related to the Gaspé Peninsula. I was embarrassed to ask the question in front of other journalists and I approached René after the conference. He told me to ask my question in front of the other even if it was not an important issue. I should not feel smaller than the other reporter even from large medias... 
René believed in democracy and human justice. He was a great politician, but to me it was mostly a great journalist, probably the biggest I've seen in my career!
Photo 1: René Lévesque (Hull, Quebec - May 1986);
See photo album LeStudio1.com ;

Aucun commentaire: